With the advent of the internet, numerous technological advancements has entered the scenario. The human world in general have been undoubtedly blessed with infinite facilities provided via the online mode. This indeed has made our lives easier. Today, internet is being used for communication purposes, education purposes, entertainment purposes, business purposes, etc. It is also being used to gather information, to store personal data, etc. In fact, it would not be wrong to state that the world today is increasingly being reliant on technology. Moreover, as long as newer technologies continue to emerge, this reliance will continue to grow even in the future,.
Meanwhile, it is necessary to understand that along with the numerous advantages provided by the internet, there are several drawbacks of internet as well. With the increasing popularity of internet, the human life has become vulnerable to several aspects including Cybercrime, Cyberterrorism and Cyberattacks. Hence, it has become very crucial for users of the internet to protect their identities and data stored in the cyberspace. Thus, this is where “Cybersecurity” plays a crucial role.
This particular blog titled “Importance and Scope of Cyber Security” will provide you with certain insights on the mentioned topic, that will help you to understand the concepts better.
Cybersecurity can be referred to as a crucial online safety measure. It aims to prevent extortion attempts, identity theft, loss of valuable data, misuse of sensitive information, cyberstalking, etc. In other terms, cybersecurity aims to prevent some of the very popular forms of cyber threats including Phishing, Ransomware, Malware, etc. Also, it is important to note that any individual or organization that uses any form of network is vulnerable to such attacks and is a potential target.
WHAT IS THE IMPORTANCE OF CYBERSECURITY?
Cybersecurity is important because it is responsible for protecting all categories of data from theft and damage, stored in the cyberspace. This includes sensitive data, personally identifiable information (PII), protected health information (PHI), personal information, intellectual property, data, and governmental and industry information systems.
We all have witnessed that with the passage of time IoT has succeeded to revolutionize the way how the world operates. So, it has become necessary to implement cybersecurity in all systems and devices that are prone to threats and attacks. This is important in order to prevent extortion attempts, cyberstalking, identity theft, loss of valuable data, misuse of sensitive information, etc. Moreover, in the absence of a cybersecurity program, it becomes very difficult for your organization to defend itself against data breach campaigns.
The list below can provide a general idea of the scope of cybersecurity as a profession:
1. Opportunity to Work as a Cybersecurity Professional: Although currently there exists a shortage of cybersecurity professionals across the world, yet this current shortage will create jobs in numerous countries shortly, particularly in India. To be more specific, the Global Information Security Workforce Study (GISWS) has shown that a total of 19641 cybersecurity experts worldwide are insufficient laborers to address difficulties. Plus, nearly 1.8 million cybersecurity professionals are required in India by 2022.
2. Opportunity to Receive High Payment: For all the job seekers and professionals interested and eager to move up in their career growth, the profession of cybersecurity acts as one of the best options. It will not only provide a top pay, but will guarantee job security in any place across the globe.
3. Unlimited Growth: The domain of cybersecurity is growing in a consistent pace. Hence, there is development potential in both the professional and learning curves. In simple terms, learning for a cybersecurity professional never stops.
Cybersecurity can be categorized into five distinct types:
1. Critical Infrastructure Security: Critical Infrastructure Security aims to protect the systems, networks and assets. It does so by relying on a security framework protection based on layered vigilance, readiness and resilience. Moreover, it has the potential to control everything, starting from nuclear power plants, to HVAC installations, robotics and even prison cell doors.
2. Application Security: Application security can be defined as the set of steps taken by a developer to identify, fix, and prevent security vulnerabilities in applications at multiple stages of the software development lifecycle. In case of this particular security, software and hardware are used for providing protection and security against threats that may pop up during the development stage of an application.
Examples of application security are –
(3) Antivirus programs, etc.
3. Network Security: Network security is a broad term that covers numerous technologies, devices and processes. It can be referred to as a set of rules and configurations designed to protect the confidentiality, integrity, and accessibility of computer networks and data. In addition, this particular security aims to protect the internal networks from attackers by securing the infrastructure.
Examples of network security are –
(1) Implementation of new and strong passwords.
(2) Two-factor authentication (2FA).
4. Cloud Security: Cloud security refers to the technologies, services, controls, and policies that aim to provide protection to the vulnerable data stored in the cloud and to applications running in the cloud from cyber threats and attacks. It helps in the prevention of risks that are associated with on-premise attacks by constantly protecting and monitoring the data in the cloud.
5. Internet of Things (IoT) Security: IoT security refers to the methods of protection used for securing internet-connected or network-based devices or cloud-connected devices. Regarding IoT devices, they are not simply limited to a smart TV or a smartwatch. But instead include a range of machines like printers, washing machines, air conditioners, security cameras, etc. These devices can connect directly to the cloud. Hence, it is IoT security that provides protection to such devices by preventing them from becoming compromised.
We know that cyber security is a system that helps us to protect our devices from cyber threats and attacks. However, it is also important for us as individuals to remain cautious and alert. We need to make smart choices, in order to keep our devices safe and secure.
Listed below are some basic cyber security tips that will help to increase your cyber safety knowledge:
• Always remember to provide your personal information and details only on trusted sites.
• If a site URL has https:// only then you can be assured that it is a secure site. If not, then avoid entering sensitive information if a site has the URL has http://.
• Do not click on links or open attachments in your emails that are from unknown sources.
• The cybercriminals or attackers mostly attack the outdated devices. So, always keep your devices updated.
• Back up files regularly as it will save the important files in the event of Cyber Security attacks.
The crimes, attacks, threats, etc. occurring in the cyber space are not to be neglected. At any instance, they can transform into serious issues. Negligence in such matters might hamper your physical lives in an extremely negative manner. So, taking precautions to prevent such attacks from being a success in the first place, is of utmost importance. In this regards, cyber security plays its part.
Thus, with the intention of spreading awareness we have prepared particular blog. The blog focuses to not only introduce certain aspects to you, but also to clarify your doubts. However, if you wish to clarify any more further queries, contact us directly at: [email protected]
To know more about us and the kind of work that we do, click on UJUDEBUG.
We’re all looking for the best prices, even saving a couple of rupees can make a huge difference. That’s why we’ll match the price of your products if you find them cheaper somewhere else.
We'll price match any item we sell against any other seller. Here’s what you need to do to you get the best price:
That’s it! The whole thing should only take a few minutes and you’ll save some money too. Winner winner!