In this modern era which is filled with uncountable online applications available to fulfill each and every need of ours, we too have managed to rely on such applications for our regular needs, not even realising about how it has affected our lives.
Assam is one of the most beautiful North-Eastern states in India and is a land full of colour, diversity, culture and traditions. However, Assam too has gradually started to step up its game by promoting handmade indigenous goods, food, clothing and jewellery through the various online platforms available in the present times.
One of the most essential elements of the Assamese culture is our traditional dress, our “Mekhela Chadar” also known as “Mekhela Sador” or “Mekhela Chador”. These Mekhela Chadars are loved and cherished by the women folk of Assam and is now being admired and worn all throughout India and even outside India as well. This has become possible due to the presence of the various social media platforms and also due to the availability of a number of online applications and websites.
However, if you don’t want to carry out the burden of downloading applications but still desire to buy Mekhela Chadars through the online mode. Good news for you! There are some more options available. Today, the social media platforms are not only being used for communicating with friends, family and strangers all across the globe, but are even being utilized as a very crucial business tool to promote numerous products as well. Our Assamese Mekhela Chadars too are now being sold online through such platforms, some of which include, Instagram, YouTube and even WhatsApp.
In the platforms like Facebook and Instagram, we get to see individuals selling Mekhela Chadars either through their private accounts, amidst friends and family or by creating a Facebook/Instagram page of their own to sell the local clothing items.
Listed below are some of the Instagram online stores:
2) Handloom Hues
3) Assam Collections
Listed below are some of the Facebook online stores:
1) Handloom Hues
2) I- Weave Silk Handloom
3) Tri Fab
4) Token of Love – Mekhela Sador, Saree and Jewelry
6) Xaaj Paar – The Clothing Hub
In case of YouTube, there are several Assamese channels like “AWESOME ASSAM,” “Pranalika Designer,” “Poshak,” “Sudarsana Wardrobe from Assam,” etc. created either by an individual or by a local clothing brand with an intention to sell their handmade Mekhela Chadars online to a larger audience across the nation. Regarding the procedure of order placements, they guide you with the essential steps in their videos itself, after which you can easily place your orders for the desired piece of clothing that you wish to buy.
Also, selling Mekhela Chadars and other traditional items through WhatsApp, has become another recent approach taken by the people of Assam in order to carry out an “easy sell and buy” procedure among their clients. Hence, there are also a few WhatsApp groups, where one can purchase the same. Regarding the placement of orders, once you contact on the given WhatsApp number, the seller shall guide you through the whole procedure from placing your orders up to completion of the payment.
Although there are many popular Indian applications that promote various clothing brands, we the people of Assam have seen that our traditional garments and other items are not being promoted by such popular apps. Hence, our Assamese people have successfully developed certain online applications of their own to bring a new change regarding this cause.
We have compiled a list of some of the top Assamese websites and online applications, that sell Mekhela Chadars, with an aim to promote our indigenous clothing. Also, the list below follows no particular order.
1) Assam Textiles: The app is known for selling online Mekhela Chadars and Sarees. It has over 1000+ downloads on Play Store with a rating of 4.3 stars. This particular application has certain unique features to it, like, apart from selling Mekhela Chadar as a set, they even sell single pieces of beautiful Mekhela and Chadar separately, in a variety of options. Also, nowadays we get to see the young children growing very fond of wearing Mekhela Chadar from their mother’s wardrobe and hence, the Assam Textile app provides the buyers with baby Mekhela Chadar sets as well.
Regarding the procedure for placing an order in the Assam Textile app, one needs to follow the steps listed below –
Firstly, one needs to add the items to the shopping cart (like in any other online shopping app).
Secondly, they need to select the total number of pieces of clothing which they are willing to place an order for.
Thirdly, they need to take a screenshot of their cart and then send it to the official WhatsApp number (+919864064122) within the duration of Monday to Saturday from 9:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. The buyer can even leave a message or call on the given number, prior to sending the screenshot.
Fourthly, after sending the screenshot and conforming the order the buyer then needs to do the payment via. the online mode.
Thus, your order shall be placed.
2) Assam Clicks: The app is a highly vibrant Assamese online shopping app, where one can buy Mekhela Chadars online. It also has over 1000+ downloads on Play Store with a rating of 3.3 stars. The speciality of this app is that, it provides the users with the different categories of the materials in which the Mekhela Chadar sets are available. For instance, the sets available in this app consists of Mekhela Chadars made out of Kesa Paat, Mix Paat, Tassar Silk, Pure Cotton, Poly Paat, Nuni, Dupion Silk and many more such variants.
Regarding the procedure for placing an order in the Assam Clicks app, one needs to follow the steps listed below-
Firstly, one needs to add their desired items of clothing in the cart.
Secondly, they need to save their address and other required details.
Thirdly, they must complete the payment procedure via. the online mode.
Finally, the order shall be placed.
3) Xaj Par: The app is known for selling online Mekhela Chadars and Sarees. It has a rating of 5.0 stars on Play Store. The app provides numerous options for buying your perfect set of Mekhela Chadar. It too allows you to select among the numerous materials in which you want your Mekhela Chadar set to be available in. These materials include, Kesa Paat, Nuni, Eri Muga, Mix Paat, Toss, Ludhiana Paat and many more.
Regarding the procedure for placing an order in the Xaj Par app, one needs to follow the steps listed below-
Firstly, add your chosen items of clothing to the cart.
Secondly, go forward and add your address and other required details.
Thirdly, complete the payment via. the online mode.
Thus, your order shall be placed.
4) Axomia Bazaar: Apart from selling other handmade local Assamese products, this particular app sells online Mekhela Chadar as well. The Axomia Bazaar app has over 1000+ downloads on Play Store with a rating of 4.7 stars. Here, you get to buy the individual Chadar, Mekhela and the complete set as well. The app also provides a variety of material in which the traditional clothing is available. This includes Toss Muga Jura, Original Muga Jura, Toss Eri Jura, Cotton Jura, Semi Nuni Cotton Jura and many more.
Regarding the procedure for placing an order in the Axomia Bazaar app, one needs to follow the steps listed below-
Firstly, select the particular clothing that you wish to buy.
Secondly, select the number of pieces you wish to order.
Thirdly, go to your cart and fill up the required details.
Fourthly, complete the payment procedure via. the online mode.
Thus, your order shall be placed.
You can download these apps by clicking on the links provided below-
If you want to create an online shopping application of your own, you can contact our team “Ujudebug” and we will build one for you. For further information about our work, you can check out our portfolio here.
We’re all looking for the best prices, even saving a couple of rupees can make a huge difference. That’s why we’ll match the price of your products if you find them cheaper somewhere else.
We'll price match any item we sell against any other seller. Here’s what you need to do to you get the best price:
That’s it! The whole thing should only take a few minutes and you’ll save some money too. Winner winner!